Wednesday 13 August 2014

Retro Tip to Fabulous French


I found this retro cabinet looking a tad worse for wear with a couple of the drawers simply falling apart as we unloaded from the trailer.
Can you see the potential?

Let's do this!

Started the process with a darn good clean using my preferred method of a damp cloth with a touch of Eucalyptus oil.
I then used liquid nails & tacks to make sure all the drawers were back in working order.

Three coats on this one as it is a laminate and I was not 100 % sure how the amazing Websters would adhere .........

I need not have worried .......


I really wanted to try this Valspar Paint as my research had shown it was apparently the best product around to use with Websters Chalk Paint Powder .........

Mixture:

2 x Cups Valspar Day & Night Paint
4 x Tablespoons of Websters Chalk Paint Powder
2 x Tablespoons of Water

A double mixture to ensure there was nice thick coverage and I wanted to do the back and inside the drawers as well.
Have to say I am loving this paint. It glides on like a dream and the coverage is brilliant.



While having a look through Facebook I saw one of my all time favorite pages ~ Time Worn Style was selling a roll of Vintage Laura Ashley Border paper.

I knew I could find a use for something as fabulous as this so purchased and proceeded to restyle these tired old drawers. Just three .... didn't want to over do it so just three drawers.
I used a regular wallpaper paste purchased from Bunnings and mixed according to instructions. I let it dry overnight before painting over the top with our Valspar & Websters mixture.

The whole process was so easy peasy I wondered ....Was I doing something wrong????

Now for a Stencil ....... Found out I used way to much paint and you should dab or stiple rather than slather ....


 A couple of coats of Dark wax on the edges & Clear all over .....


And finally some fab 40mm crystal knobs .........



The finished project ....






Revamp, Restore & Be Fabulous

No comments :

Post a Comment