Monday 8 July 2013

Lets go back to Mates Rates shall we?

We are now in a form of Limbo? Purgatory? Suspended Animation? It is literally driving me insane. Yesterday we had another quote from one Builder who was on our Short List. It came through as a text message and it was DOUBLE what he told us it would be. He stood downstairs in our home and said it would be about 20% either way in difference but nope ~ DOUBLE. I near passed out of course so Mr Fab and I now have to rethink the entire process.
We also had two Builders who we contacted over a week & two weeks ago phone us to say they would like to Quote ....... So what has happened to returning calls? Messages or emails?

Now I am aware I am a bit of a stickler for manners and maybe  fs vintage does not turn over squillions of dollars but I make sure I return any customer contact I receive! It is literally making me crazy! We spent the entire day waiting for another Builder to get back to us to let us know if he wants us down at the House on Friday and Saturday. We will leave here Thursday Night when Mr Fab comes home from work ~ share drive straight through to arrive Friday Morning and meet with the Builder. We had narrowed it down to a couple and still dont know for sure but we have gone back to looking at Mates Rates ~ Friends and Family who can help because the costings are blowing out of proportion. Seriously NOT happy about that as I find the stress of dealing with people you know to do a job becomes incredibly frustrating and you also tend to not say if you are not happy with something just to be....well ....nice. I may have to rethink that mind set and just make sure I do say when I am unhappy with the appearance or result of the work? ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ....... *mini nervous breakdown* I honestly thought we were borrrowing a reasonable amount and then I added another 40 odd percent to be sure but it seems I am so far out of the Proverbial Ball Park I would need a Bus and two trains to get there!!!!

Downstairs Area ~Furniture will be restyled for The Shop


I am beginning to think that maybe the Builders Quote really high because they dont want the job? Maybe it is to big and far to hard for them? I now understand why people say Renovation is one of the most stressful things you can do!!!!
I need to be doing something! Not sitting around waiting waiting waiting.... So after the shock of yesterdays quote (I might add we really liked this Builder but WOW!!!! Double your original estimate???????) anyway I set to with Mr Google to see what I could source and obtain via the Internet. Remember we live in The Bah and we dont really have all that many options!
Also ~lets recap on what needs doing shall we?

*New Kitchen
*New Bathroom upstairs
*New Bathroom / Laundry downstairs
*Kitchenette Downstairs as fs vintage Studio
*Wall to divide fs vintage downstairs
*New wall upstairs
*Repaint entire house
*Floors repolished
*New Back Deck
*New Front Door and upstairs Panel
*All new internal Doors
*New Internal Stairs

I would have thought in today's climate that people would be WANTING work and trying to find as much as they could!


Bathroom Upstairs
It appears I am very wrong. However ~those of you who have been following us for awhile know that we Fabster's tend to shine brightest when faced with problems. When I told Mr Fab what was happening yesterday he really surprised me by remaining stoic and hitching up his pants so to speak and trying to figure out our next steps.

On a brighter note ~yesterday was also delivery day for some Rare Mason Jars we sourced from one of our suppliers. They had contacted us to advise they had some Aqua Blue Wire Ball Jars and some very early original's. Definitely enjoyed unpacking the goodies and imagining them on the shelves in the New Kitchen ~whenever that finally comes out of my head where it has been for about 15 years.......

Beautiful Vintage Aqua Blue Wire Ball Mason Half Gallon Jars

I definitely do not anticipate us being back Home till after Christmas the way it is going. But lets stay positive and see what today brings........



Stay Fabulous

fs vintage
xx

No comments :

Post a Comment